Monday, August 16, 2010

Monday August 16 2010

Things are settling down a bit this week with things back to normal after our week of sickness last week.  Being non-verbal, Princess can't tell me in words when she is feeling sick.  I can usually tell though - for one thing, she gets very lethargic and sleepy and actually wants to lay on me or cuddle me.  So the sickness is a double edged sword - I get the cuddles I long for but I also get to clean up whatever mess my beautiful girl makes as a result of her sickness.  It's like having a toddler in a 15 year old's body - you get the picture!

On Mondays at school Princess goes shopping at one of our local supermarkets.  Princess and her classmates have the catalogue and the parents circle whatever good they want their son/daughter to purchase.  I provide the money in Princess's purse.  This is a great exercise as Princess has to locate the good, find the correct money, hand it over and wait for her purchase.  The program at school is focused on life skills as this is what these young adults need to learn most of all.  It would be a dream come true for Princess to one day be independent.  If not, then the next best thing is semi-independence and things like handling money and doing her own shopping can be accomplished with support.  The life skills Princess needs help with are very simple ones really - dressing herself, brushing her hair and teeth, bathing herself.  To imagine one day she will be able to do these things by herself would be fantastic.  To hear her say "Mum" one day?  I think I would cry for a week!!! I settle at the moment for "Mmmm" - does this mean I am a "yummy mummy?" 

Keep on achieving beautiful girl, one step at a time....

No comments:

Post a Comment